"The ACC Charlotte's Advanced Management Program is a continuation of our efforts to fulfill the Chapter’s objectives to serve the educational needs and enable the career development of our members." – Ann Warren, ACC Charlotte Chapter President Read More
Presented by the Association of Corporate Counsel Charlotte Chapter
The Association of Corporate Counsel Charlotte Chapter, in partnership with UNC Charlotte Executive Education, presents the Advanced Management Program for Legal Executives, exclusively for it's members.
The Advanced Management Program, or AMP, is designed to give in-house counsel background and resources on key management topics, enhancing business acumen and providing an edge in the competitive business environment. The program, based on MBA topics and taught by Belk College of Business faculty, is delivered over 9 half-day immersions at UNC Charlotte Center City in Uptown Charlotte.
This program is only available to members of ACC Charlotte. Please visit their website for information on membership.
In this program, participants will:
- Increase expertise of reading financial statements
- Understand the financial tools that create value for an organization
- Learn how to effectively and ethically manage work relationships
- Develop methods for more strategic decision-making/problem-solving
- Improve understanding and impact of marketing decisions and goals
Program Schedule (Cohort 1):
**Registration Opens August 17 at 9:00AM**
All courses are taught on Thursdays, 8:00AM-12:00PM. Breakfast and networking are available each morning at 7:30AM, and an optional lunch is provided at 12:00PM. Additional guest speakers or activities may be added to breakfast or lunch time slots during the course of the program.
Finance and Accounting
- 09/28/17 – Intro to Financial Reporting Statements & Program Kick-Off (*the first class extends to 12:30PM to accommodate introductions)
- 10/05/17 – Financial Statement Analysis
- 10/19/17 – Principles of Corporate Finance
- 10/26/17 – Creating Value Through Investment
- 01/18/18 – Authentic Leadership and Personal Branding
- 01/25/18 – Executive Presence
Ethics and Strategic Marketing
- 03/08/18 – Ethical Leadership
- 03/22/18 – Heuristics and Biases in Decision Making
- 03/29/18 – Marketing Strategy Formulation & Program Wrap-Up
Parking is included with registration. Additional logistics info will be mailed to registrants closer to the program's start date. Please visit the FAQ, or contact email@example.com, for more information.
- Denis Arnold, Professor of Management and Surtman Distinguished Professor of Business Ethics
- Jaime Bochantin, Assistant Professor of Communication Studies and Organizational Science
- Jack Cathey, Director of the MACC Program and Associate Professor of Accounting
- Sunil Erevelles, Chair, Department of Marketing and Associate Professor of Marketing
- Gary Kohut, Program Director of the Dual MBA Program, EGADE Business School Tecnológico de Monterrey, and Professor of Management
- Ben Nunnally, Professor of Finance Emeritus
- Rita Smith, AMP’s MC, is a Clinical Professor and Professional Coach
- Jennifer Ames Stuart, Clinical Professor of Marketing and Director of Executive Education
Finance and Accounting
- Intro to Financial Reporting Statements & Program Kick-Off
- Become familiar with the basics of financial statements and current practices in evaluating business performance: this session will explain who makes the rules, including the scope and function of regulatory agencies and professional accounting standards. You will learn the three primary financial statements and the primary elements of financial statements and what the core principles and assumptions are that underlie the financial reporting process.
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Learn to read the story financial statements tell a story about a company's financial condition: participants will learn the basic process of financial statement analysis through discussion and exercises, including how to analyze and calculate profitability, turnover, and liquidity, and how to leverage financial structure ratios.
- Principles of Corporate Finance
- Understand how management, shareholders, banks, and analysts measure financial performance and why it is essential to improving an organization’s overall performance: this session will provide participants with an overview of corporate finance while exploring value creation and corporate governance. You will also learn about and practice measuring risk and return.
- Creating Value through Investment
- Advance your knowledge in using financial information for decision making through ratio measures and cost analysis: using case studies, you will measure investment returns for an international company and discuss how to value a business from an acquisition perspective.
- Authentic Leadership and Personal Branding
- Learn proven techniques for improving business results through increasing collaboration, motivation and efficiency with clients, colleagues and customers: assess your personal leadership and conflict management strengths and style; understand how your individual leadership style can be leveraged to improve communication outcomes and to develop a personal brand that is unique to your own strengths.
- Executive Presence
- Go beyond traditional leadership skills and become a more influential and successful executive: executive presence is the ability to project gravitas – confidence, poise under pressure, and decisiveness – a characteristic strongly associated with successful leaders. You will craft compelling messages that inspire action and produce results, learn how to get results in the face of resistance, and how to project an authentic and confident style, excite people’s imaginations, and win hearts and minds.
Ethics and Strategic Marketing
- Ethical Leadership
- Gain insight into the managerial practices and leadership qualities that improve organizational ethics and compliance based on current social science research: major companies such as Walmart, Wells Fargo, The Children’s Place, Merck, and Fox News have faced major ethics scandals in recent years despite clear ethics and compliance policies and the employment of hundreds of lawyers. Such lapses are attributable to failures of leadership, breakdowns in governance, and flawed performance management. Exercises and case study discussions will provide perspective on what ethical leadership means and what it can accomplish.
- Heuristics and Biases in Decision Making
- Better understand how hardwired biases affect decision making – and how to make better decisions despite biases: much of decision theory assumes that individuals are rational when it comes to judgements and decision making, yet our decision making process is affected by many forces which will be uncovered and explored during this session.
- Marketing Strategy Formulation & Program Wrap-Up
- Explore the importance and value of a differentiated brand in increasing customer loyalty and creating competitive advantage: this session will discuss two strategic questions for any organization, 1. which customer segments should be prioritized and 2. how can offerings best be positioned relative to competition to create an edge in the marketplace? In-class discussions and exercises will expose participants to frameworks and tools that help organizations analyze their choices and confidently select target segments that will be most profitable given the resources available.